Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Debating with a Four Year Old Foodie (I may have lost)

So... I'm talking to my 4 year old today, and he's trying to tell me all the dinners he wants me to make his cousins next week when they come and visit us. He is off the wall excited about their upcoming visit, as we are all to often the ones that travel across the country to NY to see them. He just wants to see his family in his house, using his dishes, playing with his stuff. But I digress.....

I told my foodie son to think about the type of foods he might want me to make his cousins (and Aunt and Uncle) when we have them here for a few nights next week. He came back to me with requests for his special recipes - "Ratatouille flat iron steak", Chicken Snitzel (egg dip, seasoned bread crumbs, lightly pan fried) , Salmon on the grill, and Tilapia Snitzel. The Ratatouille Steak for the record has no relation to the actual menu item called ratatouille, its referencing the movie by the same name. During the "awards season" I received a recipe book (5 pages) in the mail with Variety, being used as a promotion for those that may be voting for an Oscar. I gave the recipe book (for the pictures) to my kid, who immediately asked me to tell him the names of the recipes. I did, and he selected the flat iron steak recipe as something he wanted to try. As a happy father of a mean lovin' boy, I agreed. When his mom (some refer to her as my Wife), was out of town on a "mental health scrapbooking weekend" (wine, massages, looking at old family pics, and of course a gaggle of female friends - don't even get me started on this beyond crazy 'hobby'), my son requested this recipe. We made it, plus or minus a few minor tweaks as he can't actually read yet (thank god). In the end, it was excellent. I used high quality steak (you need to also), and basically, you are just adding a small saute of shallots, butter, oil, and thyme. How can anything taste worse if you add a nice herb and easy on the palet oniony thing like shallot and some butter? So.. I made that, he woofed a portion for a normal woman (or a girl on a first date trying to act petite), he loved it.


Now the problem.. His cousins, ranging from 2 - 9 years old are normal kids that like normal easy food. They probably will eat the chicken (its fried in a highly seasoned bread crumb mixture), and might eat the salmon (my sister cooks healthy so they may be been exposed to it)... But he's insisting on the steak deal, and I've seen other kids blow off steak as being weird. Most kids request noodles, hot dogs, burgers, and pizza. Now, for the record I LOVE all of those things and my son will eat and enjoy all of them too. He just really enjoys "foodie stuff" and may push for me to make them his steak.


Luckily, I have a fairly (read into that what you wish) well adjusted 4 year old boy, who will be so wound up in the fun and moments of having his cousins here that he probably will enjoy eating basic BBQ food. I for one, am excited about dogs and burgers, one of my favs..


Again........ foodie does not equal snob..... Just enjoy your food.... In fact, I will enjoy a lovely and refreshing beer with my BBQ. Maybe, just maybe a Blue Moon. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot.. Just get an orange at the market when you buy the beer, and but a small slice to put in the glass with the beer (ok ok....... just stick (cram) it into the neck of the beer bottle like I do. Whatever... it just brings out the orange citrus notes in the beer. Yeh, I taste that too........

See Ya..........

No comments: